Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lighten up an relax

What do I mean by lighten up and relax? What I mean is that you won't always get the perfect teacher/administrator/school, your child won't always do well/behave/tell the truth etc. So if you lighten up about it now, you will save yourself much stress later. So what is realistic to expect? I have come to the conclusion that 75-80% satisfaction with the education system is pretty darn good. You can just expect to make up the other 25% on your own (enrichment- whatever- more on that later). In most places I encounter people (work/church/volunteer opportunities), about 1/4 of the people drive me nuts- their inefficient, goofy, mean, etc. So why would that be different in public school? The good news- about 25% of the folks I encounter are outstanding. The rest- are - you guessed it- somewhere in between. that is doable.

What do you do with the 25% of the folks that are bone-heads you have to deal with in school? Start with this: Academic Advocacy for Gifted Children- A parent's complete Guide on the Davidson Institute website and read the book Genius Denied http://www.geniusdenied.com. Then get ready for a long 12 years.

Just a side note: My DS is an only child. I am told by parents of more than one that I would have reached this epiphany much earlier than DS's 3rd grade year.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

It's good to see you blogging. We miss you guys.

Angela said...

I rather think blogging mught be easier with out children/child. thanks for teminding me to post- this is supposed to be my therapy!